15 Dec 2015

Scarred by Joanne Macgregor


What is it about?

"Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful." 

Seventeen year-old Sloane Munster is trying to reboot her life after a serious car accident left her badly scarred and emotionally traumatized. 

Starting her senior year at a new school, she’s delighted to see Luke Naughton, a swimmer whom she once crushed on, in the class in front of her. But when he glares back at her with disgust and revulsion, she’s shocked and hurt, and assumes it’s because of her appearance. Despite misunderstandings, the chemistry between them sparks and love grows against a background of guilt, secrets, and mounting tensions at a school where bullying is rife and Sloane is not the most deeply scarred person. 

Sharp with bittersweet humor, Scarred is an intense, beautiful, compelling story of life, death and fighting for love against all the odds

What I thought of it?



As soon as I started reading this story, I found it different in the way a normal YA would be written. Present time brings about a new look into the genre and I have to say that it is refreshing.
I loved the mature perspective of the injured (physically, mentally and emotionally) Sloane, with her wild personality and odd behaviours. Reminds me of my younger self. The character of Luke is a real puzzle in the beginning and the small parts of his view shows a bit about his character but also remains mysterious.
Some things I found predictable but only a few paragraphs before it happens.
I also did not expect the end.
The author captured the teenage reality of school beautifully and I know that there are teenagers (and YA enthusiasts) that would relate to some if not most of the story


http://www.amazon.com/Scarred-Joanne-Macgregor-ebook/dp/B0160A5OPY/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1450166864&sr=1-7&keywords=scarred



No comments:

Post a Comment